Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Dominique Daba - Do Ho Suh

This piece is titled "Some/One" which is super clever and I'll get back to that. The artist is originally from Korea and this piece was influenced by another sculpture that he made for a RISD class assignment. "The assignment was using the form of clothing to address this issue of identity … (it) allowed me to think about my identity as a Korean in the United States, through that project." (seattleartmuseum.org) I've actually seen this piece at the SAM (Seattle Art Museum woot woot my hometown) and it's a lot bigger than it appears in the photo. His service in the Korean military is reflected by the fact that this suit (which is reminiscent of armor) is made out of dog tags. Each tag, theoretically, represents an individual person but they combine to form one piece, thus the "some" and the "one".

No comments: