Monday, September 15, 2008

Contemporary Artist and Gestalt Example - Dominique Daba

I realized that I completely forgot about the Gestalt entry so here is mine:

http://iws.ccccd.edu/acano/introdesign/gestalt_files/image011.jpg
This is an example of closure because the circles do not touch and the triangle is incomplete but enough of the triangle is visible so that the viewer can fill in the shape.


Kenojuak Ashevak

This is a stone cut print titled "Radiant Owl". Kenojuak Ashevak is an Inuit artist from Canada. To be honest, I kind of randomly picked her because I like how stylized, yet organic, her prints are. You can definitely distinguish the Inuit influence but at the same time, she's incorporated her own style and bright colours. Also, the images seem mythological and closely connected to a strong culture of storytelling. I feel like she's trying to make a visually pleasing image but at the same time she's included aspects of her life in Canada.


This piece is titled "The Arrival of the Sun" and like I mentioned earlier, it reminds me of traditional Native American creation stories.

No comments: